Updates: New Research and Errata since Publication
Sunderland Beth HaMedrash; Preface to the Second Edition p.xiii and Site Entry p.224
The building at 3 Villiers Street was used at one time as a Heder [Jewish religious school] for boys. It has now been confirmed that the purpose-built Beth HaMedrash was located, as was originally thought, in Villiers Street South (between Borough Road and Hudson Road). (Another Heder operated in Hudson Road.) The Beth HaMedrash occupied a plot on the west side, one building removed from the corner with Hudson Road. It was a red brick building with a double gable. It was opened in 1899 and had been demolished by 1980.
Beware: There is considerable confusion in the sources, both primary (old maps) and secondary (printed and online). Only one photograph is currently known taken when the building was up for sale. Click here to view it.
With acknowledgements to Stephen Levey.
To obtain a copy of the book contact direct Historic England Publications